The Gainesville Police Department is revamping its security measures in the wake of two home invasion robberies.

GPD is set to release a full report, including plans and statistics, next week.

“We have two overarching goals: Reduce crime and improve customer service,” said GPD Capt. Ed Book.

The new initiatives came in response to several factors, including increased crime levels last year, Police Chief Tony Jones’ installation and recent arrests within the police department.

The reorganization began Jan. 4, the same day Stacey Brown, 20, of Gainesville, was shot and killed in a home invasion robbery.

Just a few weeks earlier on Dec. 22, a UF student was shot twice in a similar robbery.

Due to a high correlation between drug use and sales and home invasion robberies, Book said GPD is reaching out to apartment managers in order to identify potential drug dealers.

Last fall, GPD placed an additional 30 officers on the street. Now, officials are debating how many of those should return to their previous administrative positions.

GPD is using information and recommendations from the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives alongside its own internal committees to create these proposals.

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said it is not making any significant changes to its task force.

“We haven’t had a recent surge in crime like the city of Gainesville has had,” Sheriff Sadie Darnell said. “I’m very satisfied with our level of work.”

University Police Lt. Robert Wagner said changes will have no effect on UF’s policies.

“The numbers are what they are,” Book said. “We need to be an effective, ethical organization, and we need to be accountable.”