New York Fashion Week: Part 2

Since Fashion Week was so epic this year, I decided it was worthy of two posts.

If you didn’t get a chance to take a look at part 1, check it out now.

Layers, layers, layers

Layers of different textures and patterns were big on the Fall 2010 runways. Designers such as Richard Chai Love and Rag & Bone mixed together all of the normal fashion no-nos.

Check out the runway looks gallery to see some of the outfits I mention below.

Richard Chai Love’s layered look (image 9 in the gallery) seems to be inspired by the 80s. The lingerie style camisole and turtle neck paired with flowy silver trousers is an edgy outfit that can be worn out on a chilly fall evening.

In this Rag & Bone look (image 42 in the gallery), plaids were layered with both horizontal and vertical stripes for an effortless, warm ensemble.

The Jumpsuit

My favorite item on the fall 2010 runway was the jumpsuit. The jumpsuit was one of the most talked about ensembles of Fashion Week 2010. The romper, a popular look in the warmer months, seems to have grown legs! It looks like the onesie will be sticking with us for a bit longer.

From Vera Wang’s casual knit jumpsuit to Vena Cava’s structured, high-waisted black jumpsuit, it’s clear that fall is about functional, comfortable fashion.

Cava’s elegant Cat Woman-esque jumpsuit is the perfect date night outfit. Wang’s relaxed charcoal ensemble is great because it can be dressed up or down. Just add heels, a statement necklace and blazer and you’ve instantly transformed your unfussy daytime look to a stylish evening ensemble.

Ankle Booties

The designers have spoken. It’s clear that the bootie has become a staple on the runway. Designers like Prabal Gurung and Peter Som made this staple interesting by updating their booties with colorful and out of the ordinary characteristics. Gurung’s lace-up booties appear extra polished with its capped silver toe. Som takes a playful approach by covering the shoe in multi-colored prints and yellow piping.

Giuseppe Zanotti for Thankoon took another twist on the typical bootie. The wooden wedge, black leather lace-up bootie takes the staple to a new level—literally. From a little basic dress and tights to jeans and a cardigan, these trendy shoes are bound to spice up any boring outfit.

I’ll wrap up my fashion week post with, in my opinion, one of the runway’s most bizarre looks. Women go through so much trouble to keep their underwear, well, underneath their clothes. This interesting look from L.A.M.B. throws that rule to the wayside featuring intimate pieces as outerwear.

Would you do the same? You can answer in the above poll.

And that's all the news from this season's fashion week.