Reitz Union’s summer job fair draws about 200

Spring hasn’t even arrived, but students were already thinking about summer plans at the Summer Job Fair Thursday on the Reitz Union Colonnade.

The fair, which was sponsored by the Career Resource Center, featured 27 companies including Buckle, Gainesville Health & Fitness Center and various summer camps. It attracted more than 200 students.

Ja’Net Glover, the CRC assistant director for career events, said this year’s fair featured a wider variety of employers than previous years.

“We wanted to diversify the fair so that students would have an interest in at least one of the companies,” Glover said. “There are local companies as well as companies from across the country who offered jobs.”

Tanya Bansal, a UF computer engineering graduate student, said she’s having a difficult time finding a summer job.

“I’m hoping to stay in Gainesville and work,” Bansal said. “I wanted to try my luck at the job fair and hand out my resume to different companies.”

Dane Henricksen, Buckle store manager in Gainesville, said summer is the best time to apply for a job or internship with his company.

“We do most of our hiring during the summer,” Henricksen said. “This fair came at the right time for job opportunities with us.”