Study says pizza, soda tax would encourage healthier choices

<p>Edgar Hathaway, shift manager at Leonardo’s Pizza by the Slice, puts tomatoes on a pizza in 2010.</p>

Edgar Hathaway, shift manager at Leonardo’s Pizza by the Slice, puts tomatoes on a pizza in 2010.

Some researchers want to fatten pizza and soda costs in hopes that it will slim America’s waistline.

A study published Monday in the Archives of Internal Medicine argues for an 18 percent tax on pizza and soda.

The study estimated the tax would decrease calorie intake, on average, by 56 calories daily.

“At the population level, declines of 56 [calories] per day would be associated with a reduction of roughly 5 [pounds] per adult per year and significant reductions in the risks of most obesity-related chronic diseases,” the report wrote.

Maurice Marshall, a UF food science professor, said while he agrees America is facing health issues, he doesn’t believe pizza is the biggest problem food.

“A pizza here and there has its place, obviously in moderation,” said Marshall. “I would pick on savory snacks, chips and snacks like that. At least a pizza has nutritional value. You can buy a whole-wheat crust, and it offers some cheeses and some meats. Pizza has a couple of things on the food pyramid. I’m not sure what [potato chips] offer in terms of nutritional benefit.”

David Denslow, a UF economics professor, compared the tax on soda to a tax passed on beer in the early 1990s.

As for pizza, Denslow thinks if a tax passed, pizza restaurants would find ways to make “pizza-like food” that is not called “pizza” to avoid the taxes.

Leonardo’s Pizza, 1245 W University Ave., is already offering healthier pizza options, including a pizza without cheese, said Brian Johnson, the restaurant’s manager.

Although the tax is unlikely to be implemented in the near future, Johnson said it could possibly put Leonardo’s Pizza out of business.