Gainesville’s next mayor part of nationwide trend

In one month, Craig Lowe will join the ranks of about 24 other mayors who are bringing diversity to city halls across the country.

According to the Gay & Lesbian Leadership Institute, an organization that supports gay political candidates, at least 24 openly gay and lesbian mayors currently hold office in the U.S.

Lowe, Gainesville’s mayor-elect who is openly gay, encountered opposition during his campaign through fliers and protests.

Michael Cole, a spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, saw the attacks against Lowe during the election season, but said he thinks his victory demonstrates that a majority of Gainesville residents did not see Lowe’s sexuality as a disqualifying factor.

“[It] shows that voters care about whether or not someone can do the job and [are] less concerned with the sexual orientation of a candidate,” Cole said.

Other gay mayors, like Ron Holland of Dillon, Colo., are celebrating victories. Holland was sworn into office Tuesday.

Holland, who was the president of the Dillon Business Association, said he was elected because voters looked at his credentials rather than his sexuality.

“I think it’s important we step out as leaders and educators,” he said. “Our sexual orientation doesn’t matter.”

The Advocate magazine named Gainesville the 11th gayest city in America in January, using a system that took into account the number of same-sex couple households per capita and gay elected officials, among other factors.

However, Lowe said this recognition did not help him win the election.

In his upcoming term, Lowe said he wants to address several issues, including  economic development, environmental protection and civil equality.

To Lowe, a candidate’s sexuality is not as important as it used to be.

“The issue is one of fairness,” he said. “I’m grateful to the people of Gainesville that I’ll represent their issues and work to the best of my ability to ensure issues are presented fairly.”