Jumpball: Orange and Blue Debut a interesting sneak peak

I feel like the dad telling his son not to drink at the after-party as he walks out the door for the prom.

I know you’re going to do it, but I still have to try to stop you.

There are far better ways to spend your time this Saturday than in The Swamp watching a glorified scrimmage.

Just as has been the case the past few years, you won’t see much at the Orange and Blue Debut.

Someone will make a few cool plays, and you’ll get all excited only to watch them ride the bench during the season.

Last year’s breakout player was wide receiver Frankie Hammond, who tallied 131 yards and two touchdowns on four catches. His stats during the season: four grabs, 57 yards and one touchdown.

In 2007, Chevon Walker was the leading rusher with 74 yards and a score on 14 carries. He finished that year with 14 yards and more transfers (one) than touchdowns.

I’m not saying the spring game doesn’t serve a purpose. The coaches need to put their players into a half-assed game situation and see how they perform. But in terms of watchability, it should be treated as another Saturday scrimmage, not a big event.

Coaches have talked all spring about how they’re still searching for an offensive identity, and they won’t find it this weekend.

The offensive line is battered with injuries, so there won’t be much to see there. Receivers Andre Debose and Chris Rainey, the hopeful new Percy Harvins, are still a little dinged up and probably won’t be fully unleashed. Running back Jeff Demps is with the track team, and position mate Emmanuel Moody is dealing with another injury.

And you can’t tell much from the defense until they play a cohesive offense, which it won’t face this weekend.

The only thing I’d be curious about is to watch new quarterback John Brantley, but that’s what ESPN and YouTube are for.

I understand if you choose to disregard this advice. You people are football-starved, and while I wouldn’t attend if I wasn’t being paid to, I do admire your enthusiasm.

This is the same kind of irrational love for football that makes a few thousand turn out to watch players run sprints on Pro Day, and it makes the atmosphere at games in the fall one of the best in all of sports.

But for those of you with common sense, the forecast for Saturday is 76 degrees and sunny. Go enjoy it somewhere other than The Swamp.