Mayor reflects on her years in office

On May 20, Pegeen Hanrahan will officially carry out her final act as Gainesville’s mayor when she hands the city keys to Craig Lowe.

For Hanrahan, who has served as Gainesville’s mayor for the past six years, it won’t be her first time saying goodbye to an administrative post — she served on the City Commission from 1996 to 2002. But it may be the hardest time.

“I’ve walked the walk before, “ she said, referring to her previous goodbye. “But there are things you are going to miss — things you’ll be nostalgic about.”

Looking back on her tenure Tuesday, Hanrahan pointed to high points during her time in office.

Her proudest accomplishment, she said, was the development of Gainesville’s local parks.

Hanrahan also noted efforts in regard to environmental causes and equal-opportunity initiatives.

“People want to move here because we’ve protected and defended the quality of life,” she said.

Although she is pleased with the progress she made as mayor, Hanrahan said there are some things she wishes she could have improved, notably the city’s relationship with the police union.

Hanrahan said the city has put forth an outstanding effort in its limited role in terms of the Cabot-Koppers Superfund site cleanup issue, which has drawn criticism during her time in office.

She said it disappoints her how some residents fault the city for not doing enough when there is only so much it can do in a federal matter.

“What the city of Gainesville has done to clean up the Superfund site is extraordinary,” she said.

Hanrahan believes that the city will be in good hands when Mayor-elect Craig Lowe takes office.

“He’s going to be an outstanding mayor,” she said. “I have no doubt.”

Although she believes he will have to improve on some aspects of being mayor of a city, such as engaging residents, Hanrahan called him one of the best politicians in dealing with the internal workings of city government and applauded his efforts during his recent campaign.

“I don’t care how you slice it, it’s difficult to be a gay candidate in the United States of America,” she said.

For Hanrahan, life will go on at the same fast pace it has during her time as mayor. She plans to continue focusing on conservation finance as well as potentially signing a contract with the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, a philanthropic organization.

She also hopes to devote more time to her husband, Tony Malone, and her children, Evyleen and Quinn. She also has plans to completely renovate her house.

Whatever the future brings, Hanrahan will always have a soft spot for the city that she has served.

“There’s no better job than being the mayor of your hometown,” she said.