It is unfortunate that Paul Murty would choose to proliferate the “conservatives are racists” narrative, and to do it with such a weak example. Poll after poll shows that a majority of Americans (especially independents) are opposed to the power grab that is the tragic “health reform” bill. The left has found it imperative to label opposition racist as opposed to arguing against the substantive points that dissenters put forth. After all, who cares what one has to say once that person has been branded a bigot, homophobe, racist, etc.?

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell’s proclamation would help tourism. After all, the slogan “Virginia is for lovers” was originally the tourism ad “Virginia is for history lovers.” Virginia was the home to a multitude of important Civil War battles and the sites are often visited. A remembrance of the ancestors who fought and died in the bloodiest war in American history does not equal a call to the return of slavery. But Mr. Murty knows that, and anything he can use to paint conservatives as racists is the most effective way to discredit their substantive opposition to this administration’s policies. Frankly, I’ve come to expect nothing less than this sort of naivety from Mr. Murty this semester.