Who could ever imagine that a question as simple as “What are you doing now” could prove to be engaging enough to attract more than 100 million users worldwide. The craze of Twitter is so much that in the first quarter of 2010, a staggering 4 billion tweets were posted. To follow and be followed is the new mantra now. 

Since microblogging is on everybody’s mind, did you ever think of what you need to do to achieve your goals/dreams through Twitter (yes, they are inter-connected!).

For starters, try to decide on your target audience. If you are a singer, and you would like your talent to be appreciated and noticed by people, it is time you start taking your updates seriously.

According to a recent article by USA Today called "What would Shakespeare tweet?," funny, clever and sassy updates and tweets stand out because they are the exception. Boring, vapid or just TMI — too much information — updates often dominate in cyberspace.

The biggest example of a person who twittered his way to success is the current teen idol, Justin Bieber.

Twitter has a huge hand to play behind the immense popularity of Justin Bieber. He tweets regularly and manages to get attention of thousands of his followers and uses his updates to market his albums. The strategy is simple- the more you tweet about a person/thing, the more he/it becomes popular. His fans after reading his tweets tweet about their opinions too and this entire process builds up to create a huge market/craze for him.

If you want to get your talent or skills to be noticed, start following people relevant to your field. It is amazing how much you can learn by simply following a person’s tweets. You can send them a message too and if they do check your profile and find it to be interesting laced with fun/intelligent comments and a few links to your work, they might actually get in contact with you.

Treat all your followers like your friends and be sure to respond to them, after all, it’s all about the followers on Twitter. No matter what you want, Twitter can help you to a good extent in getting it. It is one such Web site where you can learn, observe, display and participate without any restrictions.

Till next time, Happy Tweeting!