UF professors link FCAT scores, wealth distribution

UF researchers have proven there is a link between students’ home life and their performances on the FCAT.

Harry Daniels, professor of counselor education, and Grant Thrall, professor of business geography, announced their findings March 20 in Pittsburgh at the American Counseling Association’s annual conference and exposition.

The model predicts how well students will perform on standardized tests based on their addresses.

“Being a resident of Florida, I am painfully aware of the blame teachers get for students’ performance in school,” Daniels said. “People always put the fault with the teachers, but I doubted that logic.”

Daniels collected data from Alachua County and Bay County public schools and used Thrall’s market research techniques to prove the connection. 

Using Thrall’s lifestyle segmentation profiles, which are a record of spending habits from a certain group of homes, Daniels divided students into four categories with Group 1 being the most wealthy and Group 4 being the lowest income category.

Daniels found that students in Group 3 scored a grade level below those in Group 1.

Daniels attributes the disparity to curriculum, instruction and family background.

“We need to modify curriculum so it appeals and has meaning to all students in school,” he said.

William Goodman, supervisor of guidance and student services for Alachua County Public Schools, said he wants to use the research to find out what places need the most assistance, adding it will help him find the areas that would benefit from after-school programs and weekend tutoring.

Editor's Note: The Alligator incorrectly reported that UF professor Grant Thrall attended the American Counseling Association’s annual conference and exposition.