Hillel adds panels for GRU solar program

UF Hillel is turning the sun's energy into cash.

With the recent installation of more than 200 solar roof panels, the Jewish center on University Avenue is the first non-profit organization to take advantage of Gainesville Regional Utilities' feed-in-tariff program.

The program allows landowners to build solar panels on their own property and lease the panels' energy output to GRU, which buys the power from the businesses or residents at a rate of 32 cents for each kilowatt hour generated.

"It's a win-win situation for everybody," said Keith Dvorchik, UF Hillel's executive director. "We've basically become a power source, and GRU buys the energy from us."

UF Hillel applied to join in March 2009, four days after GRU offered the program, he said.

Although UF Hillel is the first non-profit organization to get on board, 36 local organizations have already installed solar panels and are using the feed-in tariff.

Although popular in Europe, the feed-in-tariff system is relatively rare in the United States.

GRU is the only feed-in-tariff provider in Florida, Dvorchik said.

UF Hillel paid nothing for the purchase or installation of the panels, he said, as an anonymous donor bought the panels.

The implementation of the feed-in program may have helped GRU win a nationwide award this week.

The American Public Power Association gave GRU an E.F. Scattergood System Achievement Award, which goes to power companies that exhibit outstanding customer service.