Gainesville’s only annual fireworks display is bursting back to life with help from local sponsors.

Fanfares and Fireworks was canceled in 2009 due to a lack of funding. UF and the state legislature cut the budget for the event, according to a press release.

“It has become a tradition for many families, so they were very disappointed,” Sue Wagner, director of communications at WUFT-TV/DT, said.

The 20-year tradition recommences Saturday, starting at 7 p.m. at the UF bandshell at Flavet Field. Wagner said the event is scheduled on the third so families can participate in other Independence Day events.

Conchita Ruiz-Topinka, spokeswoman for AvMed Health Plans, said the not-for-profit organization decided to step in when it heard the event was in trouble financially.

“We like to get involved in the communities and the markets that we serve,” Ruiz- Topinka said. “We have a significant presence in Gainesville with about 350 employees.”

The annual Independence Day celebration is sponsored by AvMed Health Plans, UF, the University Athletic Association and the City of Gainesville.

“Traditionally, it’s been a great event,” said Mike Hill, associate athletics director. “We are just proud to play a small part of this as WUFT relaunches it.”

The event is free and open to the public. Wagner said families and students come and picnic in the grass, listen to music and watch the fireworks.

Coolers are allowed at the event but may be subject to search by the University Police Department. Concessions will be available for purchase. No dogs, sparklers or alcohol are allowed at the event.

Attendees can listen to live music performed by the 6th Street Rhythm and Blues Review, Hartley Leacock and the Collective Format Band and the Gainesville Community Band. The Gainesville Community Band will play for an hour throughout the fireworks display.

The fireworks display is presented by Skylighters of Florida and will begin at 9:40 p.m., according to a press release. UPD estimates between 15,000 and 20,000 people will attend.