For the sixth time in five years, UF President Bernie Machen met with a group of city, university and law enforcement officials to discuss alcohol policies in Gainesville.

The group discussed various ways to achieve goals of reducing alcohol abuse, underage drinking and their ultimate goal to reduce alcohol-related student deaths on Friday. Ultimately, the group decided it will not introduce any new measures but will continue its efforts to crack down on alcohol abuse.

The group has had some tangible success so far. There have been no alcohol-related student deaths in more than two years, and the number of underage drinking arrests is down 66 percent since the institution of an ordinance which forced The Swamp and 101 Cantina to temporarily increase their age of admission to 21.

The campaign to reduce alcohol abuse has not been popular with students, leading to a misconception that the UF president is anti-alcohol.

“We’re not anti-alcohol,” Machen said. “That was one of the misconceptions when we started this campaign. The idea is to be responsible. Don’t hurt yourself, and don’t hurt your fellow man.”

The underage drinking ordinance has been perhaps the most unpopular part of the campaign. The city will be discussing changes in October.

Machen said he is satisfied with the progress made against underage drinking and would oppose any changes. The alcohol discussions were first held in 2005 as a response to alcohol-related student deaths.