Jaye Howard expects to get his hands on ball carriers more often this season, thanks to the leadership of first-year defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, .

Howard said his role in the past, along with that of the rest of the defensive linemen, has been to merely occupy blockers so the Gators’ linebackers could roam untouched.

“We had a freak back there in Brandon Spikes and we were just holding [offensive lineman] up for him, letting him do his thing,” said Howard, who has recorded 37 tackles in two seasons.

But this year Austin wants his lineman to shed more blocks and get their own tackles.

“Anybody that’s on the field for us, they have to be able to make plays,” he said. “You have to do your job, and sometimes that requires holding the gap and then getting off to make a play.”

Howard will have an even greater chance to get his name on stat sheets when he moves to defensive end, a spot he said he will occupy in some of Florida’s packages this season. He expects the team to run multiple formations when Florida plays Alabama Oct. 2.

Although he said he likes the chance to mix his assignments, Howard would have been more excited about the move as a freshman. Entering school weighing just 230 pounds, Howard said he used to hang around the salad bar to keep weight off, hoping to avoid becoming an interior lineman.

But, three years and about 80 pounds later, he now prefers playing inside and the contact that goes along with the position. He credits his weight gain to workouts with strength coach Mickey Marotti and “pancake diets” at the dining hall.

“You eat like a pig out there,” Howard said. “I’m not used to eating that much.”

Austin on recruiting: Austin has not coached college football since leaving Michigan for the NFL in 2002. He said staying on the phones and in the living rooms of high school prospects has been the most notable adjustment he’s had to make.

He’s noticed an increased amount of attention to recruiting websites and televised all-star games since joining the professional ranks.

“You never had to deal with that before,” he said. “You had guys, usually, coming in just trying to earn their way. With all the media stuff, sometimes they get like, ‘Hey, you’re ready to go.’ But they really don’t quite understand what it takes to be a college football player.”

Jones moving around: The Gators have used all their linebackers at the strongside, weakside and middle positions throughout the preseason in an effort to make each player more versatile.

But A.J. Jones is the only member of the unit the coaches feel comfortable enough to play at all three positions in games this season, coach Urban Meyer said Wednesday. Last year, Ryan Stamper played a similar role.

“A.J. Jones is basically our Stamper,” Meyer said.

Still no second corner: Jeremy Brown and Moses Jenkins have been neck-and-neck for the starting cornerback position opposite Janoris Jenkins, and Austin said the decision will not be made until shortly before Florida’s season opener noon Saturday against Miami (Ohio).