About 30 people spent their Saturday morning in class. Former Gainesville Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan was one of three speakers at the event.

The speakers talked to students about how to improve communication skills in the political arena at a workshop hosted by the Bob Graham Center for Public Service.

“We’re trying to promote civil dialogue about today’s issues,” said Brittany Fox, president of the Bob Graham Center Public Service Council. “We’re teaching a new generation of leaders to speak up about what they believe and listen to other points of view.”

She said that the conference wasn’t just for students who want to be involved in politics.

“It’s applicable to anyone,” she said. “You’re always going to encounter people in life that disagree with you.”

Hanrahan spoke about media relations and discussed the importance of returning phone calls and establishing good relationships with reporters.

Bruce Barcelo, a political adviser, spoke about the political division and the importance of overcoming the polarization of today’s political landscape.

“We’re seeing politics as theater, brought to us 24-7,” he said.

He also discussed the role of television and visual imagery in influencing how voters think.

“If I’m going to change the air you breathe, I’m going to change the pictures in your head,” he said.

After lunch, Naniette Coleman, a World Bank consultant, gave a presentation featuring interactive exercises that stressed the importance of working across party lines in political settings.

Jeff Rood, a member of the public service council, said he came out because he attends almost all the Graham Center events.

“Seeing role models, like the former mayor, inspires me and makes my future goals more attainable,” he said. “I’m constantly surprised how helpful, humble and approachable the prestigious and experienced guests are.”