Caped vixens, evil bridesmaids model looks at costume sale

Between the two tall white pillars on the steps of the Hippodrome State Theatre on Saturday morning, models wearing bright green-and -pink wigs walked across the entrance to the theater and posed in costumes.

The event, hosted by the venue as a fundraiser for future theater productions, was a silent auction of one-of-a-kind outfits made by two-time Emmy-winning costume designer Marilyn A. Wall.

Patrons could also buy costumes from past productions in the basement sale after the fashion show.

The event ran from noon to 5 p.m., but for a $20 voucher customers could get first dibs on the wares.

Wall, who now works as the costume designer at the theater, was wearing a purple tutu and flashing heart necklace.

She said the recession has affected the arts, and productions are struggling to make ends meet.

“Last year this event made $15,000, but we had more costumes,” she said. “I don’t think we’ll make that much this year.”

She estimated that this year the fundraiser would raise $6,000 to $7,000.

The silent auction generated little interest, so organizers slashed prices toward the end of the event.

Wall’s 16 costumes were themed — caped vixens, evil bridesmaids and a mother-daughter duo in matching pink capes showed off the styles.

Bernadette Ray was one of the models wearing a Wall outfit. She was almost nude in a shower curtain, sequin bra and plastic-bag skirt.

The highest bidder for the outfit also got a free personal training session by Ray, a trainer who works at Zen Fitness in Gainesville.

Some of the more colorful items on sale included a fake severed hand for $5, a vintage, gray military coat for $150 and a hat made out of a cardboard Coors Light box with a mullet attached to the back for $45.

About 500 people stopped in to check out the offerings, including partners Brandon Wight, 95, and Bruce Blackwell, 69.

The two men purchased leopard print, fuzzy leggings, which they plan to use for an upcoming Halloween party.

“I plan on using these as arm sleeves,” Blackwell said. “We have these animal masks we’re going to wear that we got in Acapulco.”