Man kills himself, shoots woman while driving

A Gainesville man is dead and a woman is left in stable condition after he shot her and himself in what police think might have been a lovers quarrel, early Tuesday morning.

Police arrived at about 3:42 a.m. to check out a disturbance call from someone who said they heard gunshots coming from a car around the 200 block of Northwest Third Street, said Lt. Tim Hayes.

Officers saw Michael Peterson, 33, driving the car described by the caller, then heard another gunshot and watched as the car lost control and ran into a nearby light pole, Hayes said.

Police found Peterson alive with a gunshot wound to the head and Sabrina Young, 31, alive with two shots in her neck. The couple were taken to Shands at UF for immediate care, Hayes said.

Within hours, Peterson was dead, but Young remains alive and in stable condition in the intensive care unit, Hayes said.

Police said that Young and Peterson have been romantically involved before and are currently investigating into the nature of their relationship at the time of the incident.