SERCAAL conference puts students in touch with their identities

Students came together for a weekend of interactive workshops and speakers at the Southeast Regional Conference of Asian American Leaders this weekend.

The conference, also known as SERCAAL, took place Friday and Saturday with opening ceremonies Friday night in the Reitz Union Amphitheater.

About 200 people attended the ceremonies, which included entertainment and a keynote address.

Mia Mingus, the former co-executive director of Spark Reproductive Justice Now in Atlanta, Ga., and the speaker who delivered the keynote address, talked about the different systems of oppression in society such as racism, sexism, heterosexism and homophobia.

“I hope young people ask themselves, ‘What is the legacy I have come into and what legacy do I want to leave behind?’” Mingus said.

SERCAAL, which was established in 2004 by a group of UF students, is a non-profit, student-led conference that attempts to explore the Asian American sense of identity and inspire its attendees to become leaders in their communities.

The theme for this year’s conference was “Motion 3D: Discover. Define. Develop.”