Feeling the jam: Papadosio to spin through Gainesville

This Friday, Gainesville is getting a dose of one of Asheville, N.C.’s most up-and-coming rock forces, Papadosio, who have dedicated themselves to reinventing the jam band.

The five-member group has been touring the country for the past four years, rocking festivals with their unique blend of traditional guitar-based rock ’n’ roll and synth-laden electronica.

Their mission: “To combine eclectic musical traditions with modern Electronica to stir the heart and fuel the mind,” according to a statement from the band.

“They are a jam band, but they’re a new style of jam,” said Charlie Bilsker, a coordinator for the event, who first saw Papadosio play at the Aura Music Festival in January. “They’re the type of band in which every person can find something they like.”

Papadosio comes with everything you’d expect in a jam band: guitar, bass, drums and vocals.

But they add to it lines of synths, sequencers and samples to give it a danceable rhythm. The result? A more club-ready feel than the usual meandering Deadhead type of set.

And their influences are numerous, including everything from rock to house to jazz. The band also sites influences from hip-hop to dub, a reggae-flavored electronica.

“Every song has a unique approach to attaining originality,” the statement says.

Bilsker adds: “They’re extremely captivating and versatile in their live sets. They have a great blend.”

Opening for Papadosio are a variety of Gainesville talents to match the influences of the headliner. DJ Ruby and JeRK will open, spinning everything from hip-hop to electro to dubstep, followed by a performance by local jam-rockers J2K.

The show kicks off at 9 p.m. Friday at The Venue nightclub, 233 W. University Ave. Tickets are $10 at the door or $8 on presale through the event’s Facebook page.

“This is a do-not-miss opportunity,” Bilsker said. “This is Papadosio’s first show in Florida since January, and they’re coming to blow minds.”