Police search for man who tried to steal drugs from pharmacy

Gainesville Police are searching for a man who threatened to pull a gun on a pharmacist while demanding drugs at a CVS on Tuesday.

At about 1:55 p.m., the man walked into the CVS at 3404 SW Archer Road and demanded “roxies” — a street name for the highly addictive narcotic pain reliever Roxicodone — from the pharmacist, according to the GPD release.

The pharmacist stood and refused to give the suspect any drugs, at which point the suspect said, “I have a gun, don’t make me pull it out,” according to the release.

The pharmacist continued to say no, and the man left the store on foot without revealing a weapon.

Though the CVS worker was not injured in this case, police advise against taking such a heroic position if approached by someone threatening violence.

“What we tell people is to comply with demands, especially with a threat of violence,” said GPD spokeswoman Tscharna Senn.

“I wouldn’t want to go so far as to say [the pharmacist] was wrong … but it’s been our experience that when people comply, there’s generally less harm done.”

The suspect is described as a white man, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall with a scruffy beard and brown or reddish hair. He was last seen in a gray Army hoodie and black pants.

Anyone with information is asked to call police Detective Patty Nixon at 352-393-7619 or make an anonymous tip at 352-372-7867.