Police searching for bank robber

Alachua County detectives are searching for a man who robbed a Bank of America on Monday afternoon.

The robber walked into the bank at 7100 SW Archer Road at about 1:45 p.m. and placed a black bag on the counter, said Alachua County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Art Forgey.

The robber didn’t say anything but passed the teller a note making it clear that he wanted money and that the bag contained explosives.

Other customers, not knowing about the danger, continued with their transactions as the teller gave the robber cash.

The suspect got away with the money. As is standard procedure, the bank lobby was immediately closed and an employee alerted authorities. The drive-thru remained open, Forgey said.

Detectives, officers, andFBI officials looked for  witnesses in the area.

The suspect is described as a 6-foot-4-inch white man, about 300 pounds, and wearing a gray T-shirt, Forgey said.

“He’s a very distinctive, large individual, and the photos are very clear, so we’re hoping someone can help us find him,” he said.

Anyone with information should call ASO at 352-955-1818 or leave an anonymous tip with crime stoppers at 352-372-STOP and may be eligible for a reward up to $1,000.