Meyer using time off to assess UF assistant coaches

With Florida’s regular season over, coach Urban Meyer has plenty of time to evaluate how his assistant coaches performed this year.

But in the 10 days since UF’s 31-7 loss to Florida State, Meyer has not made any final decisions. With the exception of defensive line coach Dan McCarney, who left Gainesville to become North Texas’ head coach Nov. 30, every member of the Gators coaching staff is still with the team.

Graduate assistant Tony Weaver will coach Florida’s defensive line Jan. 1 against Penn State in the Outback Bowl.

Perhaps more than any other assistant, offensive coordinator Steve Addazio has drawn the ire of UF fans. After averaging about 43 points in the 2007-08 seasons under then-coordinator Dan Mullen, the Gators have averaged about 33 points in two seasons under Addazio.

The jeers toward Addazio grew loudest as Florida limped to a 7-5 regular season record while averaging 29.2 points, the team’s worst offensive output since Meyer’s first season at UF in 2005.

But Addazio will probably be calling plays again next season, Meyer said Monday.

“I’m expecting that to happen,” he said. “I will have further updates as we get closer to the bowl game.”

Offensive changes: Meyer would not commit to rotating his team’s three quarterbacks in the Outback Bowl. To boost their rushing attack, the Gators have used mobile quarterbacks Trey Burton and Jordan Reed in their last five games.

The system saw mixed results.

In Florida’s three wins, the offense scored 45.7 points per game and averaged 492.3 yards. But in losses to South Carolina and Florida State, UF averaged just 10.5 points and 251 yards.

The three-quarterback system ended against its will when Reed suffered a concussion in the second half against FSU. Although Meyer said the offense will continue to use Burton and John Brantley (and Reed when he returns), the team may abandon its experiment.

“These next two weeks are critical,” Meyer said. “I can’t tell you on this day what exactly we’ll do in this bowl game. … We’re going to keep doing the best we can to move the ball against this fine defense, and at this point I don’t know what that is.”

But while he acknowledged the offense needs a face lift, Meyer also blamed the unit’s struggles on its inability to protect the ball. The Gators turned the ball over an SEC-high 25 times this season.

“I think you will (see some offensive changes),” Meyer said. “It doesn’t matter what type of offense you run if you lay the ball on the ground or throw a pick, so that’s No. 1. We’re going to do the best we can to move the ball against traditionally one of the best defenses in America, but you’ll certainly see some changes.”

Injuries: Defensive tackles Terron Sanders (shoulder) and Lawrence Marsh (hip) have both undergone surgeries since the Florida State game. As of Monday, Reed had yet to practice since suffering a concussion. But Meyer said Reed “feels great,” and the coach expects him back soon.