Father charged with killing baby

A man already on probation for child neglect was arrested by Gainesville Police on Wednesday on a charge of killing his baby by rolling onto him in his sleep.

Anthony Enclarde, 23, told police the baby was in good health when he got him back from a stay at his mother’s house Jan. 10. He put the baby in his bed around 7 p.m., according to the GPD report. At about 3 a.m., Enclarde joined his baby and fell sleep.

When he awoke the next morning, Enclarde found that his arm and part of his body had rolled on top of the infant. The report stated that when Enclarde moved, the child released one breath and then failed to respond.

Enclarde said he tried giving the baby CPR.

Alachua County Fire Rescue and Gainesville Fire Rescue arrived at 11:37 a.m. and found the baby in apparent cardiac arrest, the report stated.

The baby was taken to Shands at UF where he eventually was pronounced dead Jan. 12.

After being read his rights, Enclarde said he had been warned about the dangers of sleeping with his baby when it was born.

He is facing charges of felony manslaughter and is already serving probation for child neglect concerning another child in South Carolina.