NEWS  |  SFC

Friends remember SFC student as fun, positive

He ended the day with a video game controller in hand.

Like many of his college-age peers, he was a little messy.

Dante Cameron, a 20-year-old Santa Fe College student, was found dead Saturday afternoon in his apartment bedroom at The Crossings at Santa Fe after what his roommates and family believe to be heart complications.

He was on his third heart after two transplants earlier in life.

The Gainesville Police Department could not be reached to provide further details.

Jacob Harmer, 19, Cameron’s roommate and friend, said he remembers him as “fun to be around no matter what.”

Harmer remembers sitting beside Cameron on the couch in their apartment to watch TV shows such as “Family Guy” and “Fringe.”

The last time the two hung out was at the Waldo Farmers and Flea Market where Cameron bought the last season of “Fringe.”

Cameron was always up for food.

He loved almost every food, except for artichokes.

Whenever he was not in class or hanging out with Harmer, Cameron could be found in his room.

He was always working on his computer and listening to techno music, Harmer’s girlfriend, Lindsey Buz, remembers.

“He was kind of nerdy,” she said. “But he was a chill person. … It didn’t matter to us.”

Harmer helped Cameron’s mother clean out his room over the weekend.

While they were cleaning, they both stopped to laugh.

The floor was covered in pizza crusts.

“That was so typical of Dante,” he said.

Most of all, Scoates remembers Cameron was never down about his heart condition.

Cameron was always thankful to live with his close circle of friends.

Scoates said her last memory of Cameron was sitting on the apartment couch next to him Thursday.

She was listening to him talk excitedly about the new computer he was building.

The last thing Scoates remembers Cameron saying while she and Harmer sat on the couch  was, “One of the best things of my life was to meet you guys."