Gators United for Haiti meets $50,000 target

In most cases, an early birthday present in excess of $50,000 seems fitting for  professional athletes, royalty or MTV “My Super Sweet 16” princesses.

For Student Body President Ashton Charles, it represents a job well done.

Charles, who celebrated her birthday Wednesday, was overjoyed to receive word earlier this week that Gators United for Haiti, an organization she helped organize, surpassed its goal of raising $50,000 for earthquake relief efforts.

“It’s just a phenomenal feeling to know that our goal has officially been met,” Charles said.

Since forming last January, the organization has raised $51,811.47, according to Gators United for Haiti President Sky Georges. When combined with the amount added by the University Athletic Association, the total stands at $92,634.20.

Even with the money in hand, both Charles and Georges reiterated they would not allow the group to become complacent. Later this week, the group will meet to discuss future efforts.

While Georges was uncertain as to what those exact plans will be, he hinted Gators United for Haiti may “switch gears,” which, as Charles described, could involve more organized drives for medical and school supplies.

“There’s still so much more to be done,” Georges said. “But it’s still a great feeling.”