Police arrest man after pistol-whipping in NW Gainesville

A 21-year-old man was arrested Thursday morning and charged with two felonies for pistol-whipping a man on the side of the road earlier in the night.

At about 2:35 a.m., Evan Ferderber, whose address was listed as 370 Palmdale Drive in Oldsmar, was standing with another man and a woman on the 300 block of Northwest 18th Street.

A car of four pulled over after recognizing one of the three people on the side of the road, according to Gainesville Police spokeswoman Tscharna Senn, to see whether the group Ferderber was with needed any help.

Although his motive remains unknown, Ferderber eventually pulled out a handgun and pointed it at one of the men, Daniel Mascarel.

However, instead of shooting Mascarel, he smacked the gun against his head, cutting him behind his left ear, Senn said.

Ferderber ran away and eluded police until about 10:30 a.m. when he was found in possession of the gun.

He was taken to the Alachua County Jail and is charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of aggravated battery, she said.