Salsa Nights come to Midtown

Students looking for late-night Mexican food in Midtown on Tuesday nights may find themselves taking part in another Latin tradition.

In a collaboration with the Gator Salsa Club, 101 Cantina, located at 1632 W University Ave., has designated Tuesday nights as Salsa Nights. Attendees can enjoy food and drink specials while listening and dancing to Latin music.

According to Ryan Prodesky, marketing director at 101 Cantina, the outside area of the venue will be cleared in order to make room for dancing.  The club will offer a free salsa lesson from 10:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.

The event is open to everyone 18 and older, and there is no cost for admission before 10:30 p.m.  From 10:30 p.m. to 11:15 p.m. admission will be $3, and the cost will increase to $5 after that.

“First of all, 101 Cantina is Latin, so having a Latin-themed night makes sense,” said Rob Castellucci, director of the club. “And it’s a wonderful venue.  There is nothing really like it in Midtown on Tuesday nights.”

He views Salsa Night as a way to expand the Latin community and increase the popularity of salsa dancing among Gainesville residents.

Prodesky said that attendance to the event has been good so far and the response has been positive.

101 Cantina employee Gabrielle Perez-Espejo said she thinks Salsa Night is a good way for students to experience a culture they may be unfamiliar with.

“It’s fun because you don’t have to be an experienced salsa dancer,” she said.  “You can be a beginner, or you can just come and watch.”