This week in Gainesville

January 21, 1969: Protesters nationwide flush toilets during the last words of Nixon’s inaugural address, but participants on campus are foiled by a strange “coincidence.”

Reitz Union male bathrooms were suddenly out of order during the speech and conveniently repaired moments after the speech was over. UF employees denied the maintenance had anything to do with an attempt to stop the national “flush-in.”

January 18, 1971: A marijuana study committee,  sponsored by SGA and UF, is created and staffed in order to gather information on various aspects of weed smoking, especially issues of legality.

Members of the committee include UF law students, a former federal narcotics agent, a director of a local drugstore, a counselor and a UF graduate student in pathology.

January 20, 1978: A new student-safety measure is announced. By the end of the month, 14 “blue box” phones will be installed all over campus, allowing students to reach the Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol at any time. The estimated cost: $3,076.

January 21, 1991: The Holy Trinity Episcopal Church on Northeast First Street is consumed by fire, causing more than $500,000 in damage. Thankfully, the 12 children in the church’s child care were evacuated before anybody was hurt.