County releases yearly financial report online

Alachua County residents can find out how the county spent their tax dollars last year as the 2010 fiscal year annual report has been released by county manager Randall Reid and the Alachua County Communications Office.

The county will print a couple thousand copies of the report for those who can’t access it online, Communications Coordinator Mark Sexton said. The digital report also includes 30-minute video interviews with county department heads.

Total revenues for the 2010 fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, topped $326.83 million, with most of the year’s income streaming in through property taxes.

Those taxes provided 35 percent of total revenues and 75 percent of the revenue for the general fund, which the county commission controls and which is included in the total revenue tally, Sexton said.

For every dollar of property taxes spent by an Alachua County property owner, 40 cents went to the Alachua County School Board and 37 cents went to the County General Fund.

Of that 37 cents, only 15.54 cents were used to fund countywide projects supported by the commission.

The Board of County Commissioners was the top spender for total expenses, accounting for 39 percent of the county’s total costs.

Twenty-five percent of the county’s costs went to  the Alachua County Sherriff’s Office, constitutional officers and judicial officers.

The Alachua County Public Works Department spent the most of any county department with 31 percent of the departments’ total expense, while the public safety department came in second with 20 percent.

To see the full report, visit http://www.alachuacounty.us/Depts/Communications/Documents/AnnualReports/Annual-Report-2010.pdf.