Deputy gets run over trying to stop thief

The only thing standing between Lounetta Watkins and freedom was Sheriff’s deputy Mike Rodenwoldt, but it didn’t stop her from pushing the pedal to the metal Sunday.

Watkins, 18, tried to get away with $30 of merchandise from the Lowe’s Home Improvement store in Alachua, 15910 NW 144th Terrace, but employees weren’t fooled and notified Rodenwoldt who chased after her, according to a report from the Alachua Police Department.

Before he could catch up, Watkins got into her car and started it up. Rodenwoldt, who was off duty, ordered her to stop.  Instead, she reversed into some bushes, then drove right into a man in her path.

He grabbed at the hood of the car and held on for 30 yards, jumping off as she pulled out of the parking lot.

Police found Watkins at a nearby Dollar General. At first, she denied driving the car at the time of the robbery, but later confessed to running into Rodenwoldt. She told police she thought he’d been a security guard, not a real deputy, and ran him over because she thought going to jail would ruin her life.

She’s charged with felony battery on an officer, robbery, resisting arrest with violence, and a separate misdemeanor for resisting arrest.