When Chief Tony Jones became head of the Gainesville Police Department in 2009, one of his goals was to decrease crime in the city by 5 percent.

GPD officers shattered this goal in 2010 as overall crime rates dropped by 16.3 percent, according to this year’s Uniform Crime Report.

Violent crimes decreased by 21.6 percent, including a 9.5 percent decrease in rape crimes and a 24.1 percent drop in aggravated assaults.

Property crime also fell by 15.3 percent. Burglaries fell by 18.4 percent, robbery by 16.7 percent and larceny by 13.4 percent.

GPD also increased its number of arrests in 2010.

According to GPD spokeswoman Tscharna Senn, these reductions are due to the efforts of both police officers and members of the Gainesville community.

“We’re reducing crimes dramatically, and the crimes that are happening we’re solving at a much greater rate,” she said. “That is great, especially in a town that’s growing.”

The department shifted many police officers back onto patrol shifts last year, increasing the number of officers on the streets.

Senn said this not only increased the level and quality of customer service they were able to provide to residents but also increased the number of crimes they were able to prevent and solve.

The role of Gainesville residents in reducing the crime rate is also important, she said. Community members provided tips to officers about crimes in progress and potential crimes, such as suspicious activity in an area, that helped them solve many crimes and prevent many more from ever happening.

“They are so many more eyes and ears for us,” Senn said. “There are a lot more [residents] out in the community than there are of us.”

She also said residents who take preventative measures to protect themselves contributed to the drop.

Senn said efforts such as locking their doors before leaving the house, helped cut down on crime.