In the spring of 2009, the Progress Party was founded in an attempt to overthrow a political system composed of an entrenched group of overly entitled elites that rendered the UF Student Government completely inaccessible to the students it promised to represent. I had the honor to serve as the Progress Party’s presidential candidate with some of the most thoughtful and passionate students I met during my time at UF.

Since that time, the Progress Party has held true to its founding principles while constantly developing its politics and remaining open to the ideas of a growing constituency.

This Student Government election is surely not unlike any other that has preceded it  — David vs. Goliath. It is the same story every year: A massive political machine representing a small minority of special interests wins a sweeping majority of votes and retains power despite the best efforts of a well-intentioned opposition.

But this election cycle takes place in the wake of global political events that have proven to the world that entrenched, corrupt governments can topple when faced with popular protest.

Simply put: Goliath doesn’t look so big once you get off your knees.

Let this be the year UF rids itself of political machinery and replaces it with the popular democratic principles of the Progress Party.