I never understood the allure of the “Madden NFL” franchise. Aside from the greatest sports commentator who ever lived, the game is boring if you’re not a sports fanatic. EA Sports’ dedication to realism in  games is good for the guy who has an NFL season pass on his Direct TV, but what about the rest of us? What about the gamer who doesn’t want to manage a franchise and just wants to play a simple, fun football game?

Well, one of the best things about video games is that there’s something for everyone. That’s right: There are sports games even for people who hate “Madden NFL,” “NBA Live” and EA’s FIFA franchise. Here are just a few classic sports games you should check out to get psyched for the Super Bowl on Sunday.

“NFL Blitz 2001”

Console: Nintendo 64

Price: Varies

The best parts of any football game are the 50-yard Hail Marys and the skull-crushing tackles. So why not have a game where you can do both  all the time? There are no penalties in the game,  and late hits are not just allowed — they’re encouraged. There are few things better in life than bulldozing a dancing wide receiver who just caught a long bomb in the endzone on triple coverage. Compared to “Madden NFL,” this game is incredibly simple. There are less plays to keep track of, easy controls and a bare-bones season campaign. This makes it easy for anyone to pick up and play, regardless of whether you love football.

“NBA Jam”

Consoles: Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

Price: about $50

Those with sharp memories not destroyed by cheap beer might remember this gem from the Super Nintendo. In a rare display of actually doing something awesome, EA Sports decided to remake the game for modern consoles. The best part is that while the graphics have been upgraded, the game is still just as great. Flaming basketballs, shattered backboards and dunks so awesome they’d make Dwight Howard tear off his Superman cape in shame are just some of the reasons to play. The secret characters are back, too, allowing players to form insane dream duos. Look me up online. I’ll be playing as Hillary Clinton and Mike D of the Beastie Boys.

“Backyard Baseball”

Consoles: Wii, PS2, GameCube, Nintendo DS, PC, iPhone

Price: Varies

I’d be disgracing the American flag if I neglected to include baseball. Unfortunately, most baseball games are even more boring than watching a game on TV. The “Backyard Sports” franchise has been around for more than a decade and is directed toward younger gamers, but “Backyard Baseball” makes for some great memories. The  game’s characters have their own distinct personalities and skills. Plus, there’s just something charming about watching a little kid run the bases after hitting a home run into a tree. But because it’s for kids, it’s really easy, and the more modern iterations of the game are not nearly as fun. If you’re interested in checking it out, go with an early PC version.