It’s one year later, and the Student Body still does not know all the facts behind the Kofi Adu-Brempong incident. But what we do know stinks to high heaven.

A man causing a loud, potentially threatening disturbance in Corry Village — where many UF students live with their children — had the police called on him. Kofi refused to calm down and, after an hour of “negotiation,” assaulted Officer Smith with a metal rod. Kofi was then shot, as most people running at a police officer with a weapon would be. So far so good? Wrong.

In the protests that ensued, Kofi’s case reached Rodney King status in Gainesville, sans riots, and police began investigating. Kofi was pardoned for resisting arrest and assault on an officer of the law. Bernie Machen reached an agreement where “alumni funds” (read: still students’ money) would be used, probably for Kofi’s medical bills and other damages.

I am speaking for all students who are tired of being harangued on Turlington Plaza about the still-due “justice for Kofi.” Black students especially should find demeaning the egregious use of the race card by Dave Schneider and his lackeys — a loose congregation of well-meaning students, “indies” and failed grad students — who seem to be out there with a megaphone for the express purpose of hearing their own voices.

Editor's note: This letter refers to this article.