Tai chi chuan, more commonly known as tai chi, is an ancient Chinese form of martial arts. It uses a series of slow movements designed to strengthen the body, increase flexibility and calm the mind.

Barbara Kerkhoff has been practicing it for 14 years and instructed it for 12 years.

“Just to do the normal things we do to get through the day keeps the mind quite busy and jittery,” she said. “Doing tai chi, because you’re focusing on the form and the breathing, it allows all of that other mind stuff to fall away, which is very relaxing for the mind.”

Kerkhoff explained that chi is energy and that everyone is born with his or her own unique level of original energy, which is why some people have boundless energy and others never seem to have enough. The chi is located in an energy center called the lower tan tien (pronounced DON-dee-en), which is a couple of inches below the navel and a couple of inches toward the center of the body.

Called yang in short form, Kerkhoff’s chosen tai chi utilizes 38 movements that involve shifting  body weight between the legs, lifting the legs and raising the arms.

If you are panicking over an exam or a project, tai chi can help.

“When we go through a stressful time, if we’re aware that our breathing has changed — maybe gotten more rapid, shallow, uneven — then we can very quickly with our awareness shift to slow, deep tai chi breathing,” she said.

One movement you can do for five to 10 minutes every day is the lifting water form. Start off in mountain pose, which means your feet are hip-distance apart and your joints are stacked above one another — knees above ankles, hips above knees, shoulders above hips and ears above shoulders — and your knees are slightly bent. While inhaling, keep your palms facing down, bend your elbows and slowly raise your arms in front of you and no higher than your shoulder height. Then, while exhaling, in one slow movement, bring your arms in toward you, bend your knees and lower your arms. Return to mountain pose, and repeat the movement until you feel calm and clear.

If you’re interested in learning tai chi, check out classes at the School of Tai Chi Chuan (davidbole.com) and the Gainesville Wellness Center (gainesvillewellness.com).