Bands bring unique sounds to end of semester shows

Today marks the end of a long 105 days of  studies, lectures and deadlines, and students looking to party have plenty of options to get down.

The night begins at 6 p.m. when doors open at the O’Connell Center for the Student Government-sponsored Pretty Lights with Archnemesis show. Admission is free with student ID and $5 for everyone else.

“I am expecting [tonight] to be one of the most positively overwhelming experiences to hit Gainesville in a long time,” show organizer Ori Blitstein said. “The culmination of the end of the semester with a high profile electronic show will truly deliver an unforgettable experience.”

The show ends at around 10:30 p.m., but revelers can choose from two after-parties as Savoy plays at The Vault downtown and RJD2 performs at the Florida Theater.

With Savoy, partiers can expect loud bass and plenty of electro bangers from the disc jockey.

Across the street, RJD2, or R.J. Krohn, will be bringing the funk on four turntables as he performs a DJ set he said will be a fun, danceable mix of his own work and favorites from other artists.

“The way that I rehearse this type of show is to pull from as many songs …  from my own albums and from other people and kind of break those songs down to their elements … for something that is culturally new,” Krohn said.

These days, he said, he doesn’t put much thought into how the song is made but focuses more on the end result.

“At this point in my career, I’m not approaching it with any sort of agenda,” he said. “Music first and foremost should be fun and exciting. I’m looking to do things that I haven’t done … because those are the kinds of things that tend to be more exciting.”

But before the downtown after-party extravaganza, Pretty Lights will bring the bass to UF campus with support from “intelligent electro-crunk” duo Archnemesis, who said they’re pumped to play in a new city.

As part of a nation-wide tour, Archnemesis will bring their own blend of hip-hop, dubstep, funk and dance to the O’Connell Center stage, even testing a few new tracks out on the crowd.

They said the Wednesday show will range from slow stuff to 120 beats-per-minute dance tracks and hopefully cover the whole musical spectrum.

“We have our own sound,” band member Justin Aubuchon said. “It’s going to be a party for sure.”