Gainesville police look into Wendy’s burglaries

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office and Gainesville Police Department are investigating  two separate Wendy’s burglaries from Monday morning that may be related.

Sometime between 10 p.m. Sunday and 6:30 a.m. Monday, both Wendy’s restaurants, located  at 1711 N. Main St. and 6700 W. Newberry Road respectively, were broken into and burglarized. According to ASO and GPD sources, an  undetermined amount of cash was taken from their safes.

GPD is investigating the burglary on North Main Street while the sheriff’s office is looking into the one on West Newberry Road.

GPD spokeswoman Tscharna Senn said police believe the burglar or burglars pried open the North Main Street restaurant’s back door and cut the electrical and phone lines, hoping to disarm any alarm system. Officers with the sheriff’s office are still figuring out how the burglar or burglars entered the Wendy’s on West Newberry Road.

ASO spokesman Art Forgey said the burglar or burglars may have snuck  in during an early morning delivery.

Forgey said officers are working hard to determine if the two burglaries may be related and to pin down suspects, but noted that in a building with so many people in and out each day, it becomes harder to identify suspects through fingerprints.