April 7, 1979: About 5,000 people, ranging in age from 16 months old to 72 years old, gather at Lake Alice Field and smoke out in public as part of a “toke-in” benefit concert supporting the legalization of marijuana. A Tallahassee-based lobbying group collects 2,280 signatures in support of a bill proposing that posession of one ounce of marijuana be a violation, as opposed to the existing law, which makes posession of five grams a misdemeanor.

April 3, 1983: Officials and boosters of the UF football program violated NCAA rules for encouraging student athletes to make money in strictly prohibited ways. The St. Petersburg Times conducts its own investigation and reports that players made thousands selling their season tickets, often above face value, and spent their summers selling advertising space to boosters.

April 9, 1994: Local police collect 22 guns in exchange for food baskets, gift certificates and sports apparel during their “Gifts for Guns” program. “If we get one gun out of circulation then this project is worthwhile,” said Ryan Alderman, administrative assistant for UF’s Interfraternity Council.