Paul Marji, a model in Gainesville Fashion Week, will be doing more than strutting his stuff down the runway this year. He will also be directing models today, when they debut his original clothing line, Sui Generis. Marji is the first GFW model to do so since the event’s inception in March 2009.

Marji has modeled for the past four years in previous in GFWs and in Wolfgang shows.

Marji graduated from UF with degrees in biology and chemistry in August 2010. But he has a strong passion for the arts as well —  including fashion.

Marji said he originally was an artist, which led him to appreciate science. It’s incorporated in his logo, where he uses the image of Ensifera ensifera, a South American hummingbird that is the only species in its genus.

This idea of originality is also reflected in the name of Marji’s line. Sui Generis is a Latin term denoting uniqueness.

No one thing got Marji interested in fashion,  he said.

But when he began thrift-store shopping in Gainesville, Jacksonville and Miami, he had the idea to restyle the clothing and accessories he found to make them seem fresh and modern.

Reworking the pieces became a collaborative effort with his models, with him picking things he liked then asking them for input.

Marji spent about $500 creating the whole collection. It’s not about making a profit, he said. It’s an art project.

Evan Yavelberg, owner of Alcove, decided to sponsor the line after Marji presented his ideas to him.

“I really liked the vision he had,” he said.

Yavelberg, known for supporting art, said this is the first time he’s gotten involved with a fashion line.

“I think he took a more artistic approach to the way he did things,” Yavelberg said.

He said putting Alcove’s name next to Sui Generis is mutually beneficial.

Because Yavelberg hasn’t seen the full collection yet, he said he is excited to see it on the catwalk.

Marji said he’s eager for the show as well.

“I want people to appreciate it for what it is,” he said.

After fashion week, Marji plans to start medical school in the fall. However, he still would like to be involved with fashion in addition to other mediums like screenwriting and oil painting.

“I’d like to involve it in my life during medical school as a hobby,” he said.