It may have been bumped off the air by "Country 103.7 - The Gator," but the student staff at Rock104.com is determined to keep on rocking in the cyber world.

Since UF's radio frequency, 103.7, switched to a country music format in October, what used to be Rock104 has transformed into Rock104.com, an Internet radio station. No longer under the constraints that come with being a commercial broadcast station, the station has taken the opportunity to expand its catalog beyond the mainstream rock that Rock104 was traditionally known for.

Renee Gork, student experience coordinator for the College of Journalism and Communications' division of multimedia properties, said one of the ways the Rock104.com team has tried to improve the station is by conducting surveys to find out what its listeners want to hear.

Per the results, the station has added more alternative music and local bands. It recently revived "Locals Only," which was once a Sunday night staple on Rock104.

"Rock104, especially back in the ‘90s, was very successful with ‘Locals Only,'" Gork said. "Gainesville has a lot of local bands and they want to make sure to take advantage of that again."

Joe Nanna, a senior telecommunications student and Rock104.com team member, said he was initially disappointed about the format change, but now he's excited about the freedom and new possibilities that taking the station online has presented.

"It's been pretty awesome because we've been able to put whatever music we want on there," he said.

Social media has played an important role in getting the online station off the ground, as the station's Facebook page acts in place of a request line. Nanna said the staff pays close attention to the feedback on the page because they want to give listeners what they want to hear.

"If someone says ‘add this song,' we add that song," he said.

Amid the sea of Internet radio available, Rock104.com Program Director Glenn Rickard said the station is aiming to set itself apart by offering localized content and music that listeners can't get anywhere else.

Although progress has slowed over the summer, Rock104.com is planning on launching videos and rock news segments in the fall. It has developed an iPhone application that is awaiting approval from Apple.

"Right now, we're trying to let people know that Rock104 is alive and well online," Rickard said. "It's not the same Rock104 that went off the air. We think it's new and improved. But it's a work in progress."