Another day, another Student-Government-wants-to-quash-the-opposition-claim.

Progress Party officials are calling foul at the elections commission's decision to ban the party from the fall election cycle.

An apparently loosely-affiliated member of the Progress Party decided it would be a good idea to pass out "I voted" stickers to people who hadn't voted. The idea is that this kind of activity suppresses voter turnout.

Well of course that's the problem! That's what's keeping the overwhelming majority of eligible student voters out of the polls every semester.

It's not like the oft-requested and oft-denied change to online voting has anything to with it. It obviously has nothing to do with how Student Government is more concerned with inside baseball than getting things done for students.

Listen, we understand that rules are rules. But when it comes to low voter turnout in SG elections, "I voted" stickers probably aren't the problem.

Party politics often mire what should be an overall productive and fruitful experience in college - participation in student government.

It is true that much of the infighting and bickering that used to plague Student Senate's chambers during never-ending meetings has subsided.

Unfortunately, this is mostly due to the lack of a viable opposing party as fewer student senators hail from a minority party. Although the minority party, then called the Student Alliance, did make gains last spring, it only took months before the "alliance" fractured into two weaker groups.

A full range of opinions is necessary for any good government to work. It's hard to believe that students find it appealing when one overwhelming force dominates campus politics. And for those ready to lament the conspiracy to keep Greeks in power, UF's own Ralph Lauren Illuminati, we don't think any instituion could get away with that if there was a healthy opposing force. Rather, we think apathy is more to blame.

But it doesn't have to be that way. More organization and less petty posturing would go a long way for any minority group wanting to get going in SG.

In the case of the Progress Party's sticky situation, the five-person elections commission worked within the framework of what they are charged to do. No Progress Party members showed up for the hearing, so no defense against the complaint was presented. Even if the sticker-hawker was not a tried-and-true member of the party, someone should have at least been present to make that case.

Before slamming the Unite Party, Progress members have to know that in order to get anything done in any kind of government, adherence to predetermined policies is crucial.

At the same time, it's a step in the wrong direction when a situation like this leads to the elimination of the opposition, even if only in name.

We are sure that even though the name "Progress" has been laid to rest for at least the fall, we all know who Super Dave Schneider and Co. are and what they're about.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to forge a serious alternative to Unite Party. Maybe we can actually have incentive to elect a balanced set of Senators come fall.

It would at least make our job covering ya'll enjoyable.