American Atheists, a more-than-40-year-old organization that advocates for the civil liberties of atheists and the complete separation of church and state, flew aerial banners over several public locations across the country Monday that read phrases such as "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic."At beaches and parks in 26 states, people saw these words fly across the sky.

According to a spokesman for the organization who was quoted in several news articles, the point was simple: Atheists can be proud patriots just as much as theists can.

News reports quoted pilots who were afraid to fly the message because they feared for their lives or personal relationships. Some of them were atheists.

If there is that much fear among atheists for expressing their beliefs, then they have a point.

While this display of secularism may upset many, part of America's ideals rests in the freedom to believe - or not believe - any god. Atheism is just as much of a belief system as theism. Either way, religious beliefs have nothing to do with loyalty to one's country.

However, we do think insinuating that the idea of atheism is patriotic, as opposed to theism, is a bit ill-conceived.

It's fine for atheists to make a point about their loyalty to the country. But it doesn't help to try to jackhammer that into people in a bumper-sticker-slogan way - especially on the Fourth of July.

On a day when we should be remembering everything that unifies us, divisive issues should be put aside.