City may do away with free parking downtown

<p>Edward Dowling enters his truck in front of a free parking sign near The Hampton Inn &amp; Suites in downtown Gainesville Wednesday.</p>

Edward Dowling enters his truck in front of a free parking sign near The Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Gainesville Wednesday.

Free parking downtown could become a thing of the past if a proposal from the City of Gainesville is approved by the Gainesville City Commission later this year.

The Downtown Parking Study, released by the City of Gainesville earlier this week, proposes the elimination of 77 available free parking spaces downtown to discourage employees from taking convenient spaces and encourage motorists to use downtown garages.

Commissioner Jeanna Mastrodicasa said changing public perceptions about the downtown parking situation is just as important as improving the availability of parking spaces.

"People perceive that there is no parking downtown, so they don't come, or they get frustrated when they come and don't see any parking," Mastrodicasa said. "If you ride downtown at nine in the morning and look at all the free spaces, you'll see that most are already filled, and the businesses aren't even open yet. What's happening is the employees at downtown businesses are taking the spots and not the patrons. "

When employees occupy convenient parking slots close to local shops, there's nowhere nearby for shoppers to park, and the businesses suffer, she said.

"The idea is that we get employees to park further out and free up all the convenient spots in front of local businesses to encourage shoppers," she said.

The plan to eliminate no-charge parking would produce a faster turnover of on-street parking while raising city revenues.

According to the study, the setup cost of the project is estimated at $875,000, while the annual cost is estimated at $125,000, for a total first-year cost of $1 million.

Enforcing the new parking restrictions would cost $250,000 annually and require the city to hire additional parking-enforcement staff.

The city is expected to make its money back within two and a half years, with total annual revenues estimated at $493,250.

The three-member Recreation, Cultural Affairs and Public Works Committee, comprised of Commissioners Mastrodicasa, Scherwin Henry and Todd Chase, also proposes to increase meter rates for lot and on-street parking to further encourage visitors to use garages.

According to the proposal, meters would be in effect until 8 p.m., and the committee may push for them to run even later: until 11 p.m. and on Saturdays.

The committee argues the elimination of free parking would improve business for local vendors, though others argue it would do just the opposite.

"People will stop going downtown," said 19-year-old microbiology student Jheel Pandya. "When you want to go downtown, you already have to think about paying to get into clubs and everything else. Now parking? It's just too much."

If the plan is approved by the commission, the earliest changes would take effect sometime next year.

The city also plans to create a website to show pay rates and locations of available parking if the plan is implemented.

The next meeting to discuss the parking proposal will be held by the Recreational, Cultural Affairs and Public Works Committee on Sept. 12.