A new collection at Library East has books that aren't only meant to be read - they are meant to be interpreted.

One is a handmade pop-up book meant to symbolize the maker's experience as a mother. Another exemplifies the struggle of being bilingual.

Some of them contain words, but unlike ordinary books, they were designed with letterpress and ink paintings, and they were made with handmade paper and boxes.

The books belong to artists from across the United States and have been brought to UF as part of the ARTBOUND 2011 exhibition.

ARTBOUND 2011 is the second annual student artists' book competition, exhibition and collection, according to Ellen Knudson, an associate in book arts at the Smathers Libraries.

"The competition was designed by myself as a way to promote and build the artists' book collection at UF," Knudson wrote in an email, "and as a way for students in Florida and across the nation to have a first experience with getting their books into a special collection library."

In May, students began submitting entries for the competition on the Smathers Libraries website.

No UF students entered the competition this year, Knudson said.

However, UF students in typography, graphic design and printmaking classes have used the 2010 books as inspiration for class projects.

Also, a UF graphic design graduate student did get her book into the exhibit in 2010.

A guest juror, fine arts photographer and UF alumna, Bea Nettles, chose the 15 winning entries.

People are invited to attend the exhibit, which is located on the second floor of Library East.

The exhibit is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday until Nov. 4, Knudson said.

The exhibit is also available to view online in the exhibits section of ufdc.ufl.edu.

The books will become part of the permanent collection in the Special and Area Studies Collection Library in Library East.

"This is one of the only collections I know that features extremely high-quality work by students on the verge in their profession," Knudson said.