Weeks after Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced his candidacy for president, it appears that the top-tier jocks in the endurance marathon, which has been underway for sometime, have finally been identified.

After the debate last Wednesday, I can decidedly say who I am voting for.

During the MSNBC and Politico Republican debate, the candidates launched into attack mode. Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney had a tit-for-tat with one another over policies they supported as governors of their respective states.

Perry showed his vital weaknesses (or perceived ones, depending on who you ask) as a front-runner when the questioners asked about his book "Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America," which was published last year.

Most of the flak came from his position on Social Security, echoing remarks from the book calling the system a failed "Ponzi scheme." He implied that those who are investing in the program now will never see their returns.

In my view, the statement is purely hyperbolic. There is plenty of money left, but politicians need to stay out of the Social Security fund.

According to factcheck.org, "Social Security's finances - while troubled - are an open book, not an investment scam, and the program could still support 74 percent of promised benefits in 2085."

Students, however, should keep an eye on the program, even though it might not be an immediate concern. In the near future, you will be moving out into the real world while your parents or grandparents will be retiring. There will probably be a point when you will be responsible for their well-being.

Presidential candidate Herman Cain suggested we look to Chile for solutions. He made an excellent point. We should be given a choice concerning our retirement and the option to setup a retirement account for each individual.

The premise is to slowly wean people off of Social Security so that legislatures cannot snatch it up.

I am all for diversifying.

It was also revealed during the debate that Perry coerced Texan parents of young women to be vaccinated for a disease that causes cervical cancer. He has forever lost any potential for my support.

Perry usurped the legislation by using his power of executive order to enact the law.

During the CNN Tea Party Express Debate this Monday, Rep. Michelle Bachmann threw some right hooks at Perry, calling him on his message for limited government but hypocritically over-extended executive authority.

She further alluded to the fact that the vaccines were bought from a pharmaceutical company, Merck, which donated money to Perry's campaign.

In response, Perry countered, "The company was Merck, and it was a $5,000 contribution that I had received from them. If you're saying that I can be bought for $5,000, I'm offended."

"Well, I'm offended for all the little girls and the parents that didn't have a choice. That's what I'm offended for," Bachmann rebutted.

At the end of it all, Perry apologized for his past actions. He confessed that if he could go back in time, he would do things differently.

It takes guts to say sorry in any situation, let alone in a national forum.

He is a big man for that act and should garner respect.

However, we cannot allow politicians to exceed their power. It is our duty as citizens to defy such acts. No man is above the will of the people.

Given his misguided view of Social Security and his abuse of executive power, Rick Perry will not be receiving my vote for the GOP nomination in 2012.

Nicholas Butler is a journalism sophomore at UF. His column appears on Wednesdays.