Ron DeSantis: Redefining Conservatism in America

Harrison Feld is the president of UF’s chapter of Students for DeSantis

Opinions generic
Opinions generic

Following the 2020 Presidential election, the GOP had to face the challenging question, “how do we win back the White House, and who should be the one to do it?” 

In my view, Gov. Ron DeSantis is the right man for the job. Through his leadership, he stood up to medical tyranny, put woke corporations in check and defended the rights of parents and students in the schools. DeSantis has the youth, energy and executive experience to move our country forward.

Many Republicans looking for an alternative to Former President Donald Trump, are relieved to have a fighter like DeSantis, stepping into a highly contested GOP primary field. 

Raised by a nurse and the son of a steelworker, DeSantis understood the American spirit and the benefits of hard work from an early age. 

A young DeSantis used the lessons he learned from his parents to help put his efforts towards his academics and athletic ability. Through these abilities, he earned himself acceptance into Yale University and later graduated with honors from Harvard Law School. 

With his academic credentials, DeSantis sacrificed lucrative opportunities in the private sector, opting to serve a greater purpose by joining the U.S. Navy as a JAG Officer in 2004, and deploying to Iraq. 

During his time in Congress, DeSantis exposed the weaponization of the IRS and other government agencies and pushed for Veteran Affairs reform.  

In 2018, DeSantis was elected Florida governor in a tight race against Democrat Andrew Gillum. 

In 2020, DeSantis made a name for himself on the national stage with his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, proudly promoting Florida as the “citadel of freedom,” by opposing mandates that he believed infringed upon people’s personal choices.

While the White House and other states surrendered their power to health bureaucrats like Dr. Fauci, DeSantis was among the first governors to move towards reopening the economy and lifting COVID-19-related restrictions. 

In May of this year, DeSantis signed the strongest medical freedom legislation into law. This law includes prohibiting businesses from requiring proof of vaccination for individuals. 

This month numerous pieces of legislation signed into law by DeSantis have gone into effect, including permitless carry, E-Verify and sex education at public schools. 

DeSantis’ legislative history proves to Republican voters that he can get things done.

As governor, DeSantis has taken what was once a slow and moderate Florida Legislature, and turned it into an effective institution that executes the will of the people. This is the type of leader we need in Washington.

DeSantis’ protected the 2nd Amendment by signing permitless carry into law. He banned the purchase of land by businesses and individuals with ties to our foreign adversaries. He removed instruction on gender identity in our classrooms. By upholding these new conservative values, he shows Republicans he is ready to take on the office of President of the United States. 

As President, DeSantis will…

1. Deal with the border crisis by finishing the wall and holding cartels accountable for the flow of fentanyl and human trafficking into the United States. 

2. Revitalize the economy by stopping runaway government spending, reducing the national debt, curbing inflation, and returning to energy independence. 

3. Address China’s influence in the South China Sea and the Americas, and confront their increasing threat to American technology. 

4. Square up to woke ideology in our schools by protecting children in the classroom and promoting parental rights. 

It’s time for the GOP to nominate a young, proven and trusted conservative like DeSantis to lead our “Great American Comeback”!

Harrison Feld

President of UF's chapter of Students for DeSantis