Students call for Palestinian independence from Israel

<p>UF's chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine protests on Turlington Plaza on Wednesday afternoon for Palestine to become the 194th United Nations member.</p>

UF's chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine protests on Turlington Plaza on Wednesday afternoon for Palestine to become the 194th United Nations member.

Members of Students for Justice in Palestine waved neon signs and chanted with a megaphone on Turlington Plaza on Wednesday in support of an independent Palestine.

Mohammad Tina, president of Students for Justice in Palestine, said the group members rallied from 11 a.m. to noon to encourage students to back Palestine's independence from Israel.

Palestinian officials are expected to apply to the United Nations for recognition as an independent state, a move the Obama administration has pledged to block, according to U.S. Press Secretary Jay Carney during an Aug. 4 press conference.

The rally comes a day after the Student Senate passed a resolution supporting the government's efforts to promote a peaceful settlement to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Tina said he had heard a little about the resolution.

"I wasn't really surprised," he said. "I feel like our Student Government is kind of biased."

The resolution also condemned the actions of Hamas, which is listed as a Foreign Terrorist Organization by the U.S. Department of State.

Tina said the group's goal is to raise awareness of injustice in Palestine as well as other countries.

"Humans deserve human rights," he said.

Students' overall response was positive, Tina said, and several students asked for more information about Students for Justice in Palestine.