The scene is familiar: a New York City apartment, two couples and one couch. The stage looks more like that of a romantic comedy than one of a three-time Tony- Award-winning Broadway play, but the actors and director of "God of Carnage" aim to change what is expected.

The play by Yasmina Reza, which began showing at the Hippodrome State Theatre on Aug. 31, revolves around two couples - Alan Raleigh (Tim Altmeyer), Annette Raleigh (Kim Mead), Michael Novack (Benjamin Burdick) and Veronica Novack (Jessica Ires Morris) - who run into a problem when their 11-year-old sons get into a fight on the playground. What begins as a mature conversation between adults quickly turns into an absurd brawl that could easily take place in any home ... with a little extra flair.

Director Mary Hausch said she originally chose to bring "God of Carnage" to the Hippodrome because of its success on Broadway, but the significance of the play is much greater than that.

"It's a wonderful statement on where we are in our civilization," Hausch said. "There's something in each character or relationship that we can relate to."

Altmeyer, an assistant professor in UF's School of Theater and Dance, plays Alan Raleigh, the uptight lawyer who never lets go of his cellphone.

"I first saw the show in New York, and I recognized myself in all four of the idiots," Altmeyer said. "Your allegiance keeps switching, which is what makes it such a fun ride."

The show, which opened on Broadway in March 2009 with Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfini and Marcia Gay Harden, was the third longest-running play of the 2000s. Roman Polanski's film adaptation of the play, called "Carnage," opens in December. The film, starring Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly, was chosen to be the opening night feature at the New York Film Festival in September.

Sylvie Blum-Reid, UF associate professor of French and film, teaches Readings in 20th Century French Theater, a course that revolves around modern French drama. Blum-Reid's students study two of Reza's other plays, "Conversations After a Burial" and "The Unexpected Man."

"Reza's plays cross over very well in many countries," Blum-Reid said. "It's not specifically addressing French people only; it's about international relationships. It speaks to everyone, and I think that's the appeal."

Morris, who plays writer Veronica Novack, said she hopes the audience will be able to recognize themselves in the characters and fights.

"If we're successful, it'll be just one step over what might happen," Morris said. "It's about the little things that just really tick you off. We're taking something that should be manageable with friendly conversation and turning it into one of those moments you regret."

"God of Carnage" will run at the Hippodrome through Sept. 25. Ticket prices range from $12 to $32.

For more information, call 352-375-4477 or visit thehipp.org.