Hundreds of butterflies will be released Oct. 22 and Oct. 23 as part of the annual ButterflyFest.

The event is hosted each year by the Florida Museum of Natural History to celebrate the migration of hundreds of Monarch butterflies to central Mexico.

The museum is home to one of the world's largest butterfly collections.

"The festival's goal is to educate the public about the importance of insects in our everyday life," said Leeann Bright, marketing and public relations coordinator for the museum.

Last year, more than 5,000 people attended the festival, Bright said.

All activities will be free, but visitors must still pay to enter the Butterfly Rainforest. Tickets for children ages 3-17 are $6. Adult tickets are $10.50, but $9 for Florida residents.

Activities at the festival will include races, bingo, butterfly releases, plant sales, presentations and workshops.

"The presentations will inform people of the important role of pollinators in everyday life," Bright said.

Naomi Pierce, the Hessel Professor of Biology at Harvard University, will be this year's keynote speaker.

Her presentation will focus on caterpillars and their positive effect on the environment.