Despite increased enrollment, graduation rates stay the same

<p>Despite an increase in enrollment, the percentage of students finishing their college degrees within four years has remained about the same, according to a report by Complete College America.</p>

Despite an increase in enrollment, the percentage of students finishing their college degrees within four years has remained about the same, according to a report by Complete College America.

A national report released Tuesday shows that despite an increase in enrollment, the percentage of students finishing their college degrees on time has remained about the same.

The report was compiled by Complete College America, a nonprofit organization founded in 2009. The report analyzed data from 33 states, including Florida, to explain how many students are completing their degrees within four years, which is considered "on time." The data is broken into multiple categories, including whether students enroll part time or full time at a two-year college or a four-year university.

Contrary to the report's findings, the number of students who graduate within four years at UF has increased over the past few years, said UF Provost Joseph Glover.

Of the 6,749 UF freshmen in 2006, 64 percent graduated within four years, which is a six- percentage-point increase from the 58 percent the 7,279 freshmen who graduated within four years in 2005. According to the report, of every 100 students that enroll in a public college or university, 14 will graduate within four years from a two-year college, and 24 will graduate within eight years from a four-year university.

UF has the highest graduation rate in the state, with 82 percent of students graduating within six years, which is the average amount of time it takes nationally for students to graduate.

Paula Pluchino, a 19-year-old aerospace engineering sophomore, doesn't think graduating within four years would be beneficial for her education.

"It's important to have experience in the field interning or conducting research," Pluchino said. "That can push back my graduation date even more."

She also plans to study abroad, which will make it more difficult to graduate on time.

"I don't like being forced to graduate on time because I want to accomplish all my goals first," Pluchino said.